Monday, August 1, 2011

To the ER...

I have to tell you, I had a really trying weekend. I went out to eat with my best girlfriend, had food with Matt, went grocery shopping, worked on my comps notes, and... went to the hospital. And no, not to see a friend, or whatever, but rather I was the patient. I doubt I've mentioned it before, since I don't go to the hospital all that often, but I really, really hate hospitals!

So, on Friday, I started to have some pain in my right arm, but I took a few Advil and it went away. No big deal, I didn't think anything else of. I felt a little bit sick from eating fried food for lunch, but otherwise I was okay. I even went out to the usual Friday meet-up for dinner with Melanie and though I wasn't feeling well when I got there, I felt fine by the time I went home. Then, Saturday, I got up and the pain in my arm was back with a vengence. I took three Aleve and three Advil and they didn't even touch the pain. The only thing that seemed to help was a warm shower, but it only helped as long as I was standing under the hot water.

I tried my best to ignore it, but it hurt quite a lot.  We even went out to eat and went to the grocery store, but nothing made it feel better. I did notice it felt better when I was outside in the heat, than when I was inside in the air conditioned house. So, heat good, cold not so good. I talked to my mom, and to Matt, and though they wanted me to go to the ER, I resisted. They thought it was possible I was having a heart attack, but I figured it was nothing and that it'd go away soon. Not so much.

Sunday, the pain was worse. I could hardly stand it. I took four Advil and, like Saturday, it didn't touch the pain at all. So, after talking to my mom and being freaked out, I decided it might be a good idea to go to the ER and have it looked at. After all, what if I was having a heart attack? It would be better to have it seen to, than to ignore it and suffer the consequences. When I told my mom I couldn't really afford it, she said, "You can afford it better than you can afford a funeral." Okay, that scared me and so I went. I think that was probably the intention, and it worked.

So, I went. I seriously hate hospitals, but the people at our local hospital are nice. I've heard word that our local hospital isn't so good, but they seemed fine to me. The doctor on rounds in the ER last night was nice. He told me I wasn't having a heart attack and said that my problem is musculo-skeletal. In other words, I have an injured rotator cuff. He prescribed me muscle relaxers and naproxin. Last night, they helped, today... I don't know.

I tell you what, though, they put me clean out. I took them, went to bed around 8:00 p.m. and didn't get back up until 8:30 a.m. this morning. Then, I took more this morning because, again, my arm is hurting quite a lot. More today than Sunday, more Sunday than Saturday, etc. I think the problem is that I'm sleeping on it, that's the side I sleep on, which is a problem but I'm not sure what I can do about it. I just hope it gets better soon, because I really need to study for my comps, which are two weeks from today, but as long as I'm on meds I can't focus, or even stay awake, long enough to get anything done.

All in all, I hope I don't have another weekend like the one I just had. It's obviously a good thing that I wasn't having a heart attack, but having gone to the hospital was a really bummer. The only somewhat humorous moment came when I was talking to the doctor in the ER. He asked me if I worked out or got any exercise and, by way of answer, I said, "I type a lot, does that count?" He grinned, shook his head, and said, "That my be part of the problem." Ah well, maybe so. Which means I should probably run for the time being.

Oh, and if this makes no sense, I apologize. I'm under the influence of meds that make me quite loopy. I had to fight hard to keep this blog on track, while my brain tried to derail it all the way. So yeah, for now, adieu.