Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2011 Strikes Again!!

Have you ever had one of those days? You know, the ones where absolutely nothing seems to go right for you. Yeah, well, yesterday was that day for me. A fitting end to a terrible year, I think, and I suppose I should just be grateful that it's still 2011 so I can blame it on my bad year--something further pointed out by one of my friends while I was complaining about it on Facebook yesterday. And you know, I think I complain at the end of every year that I had a bad one, and that I hope the next one is better, but this year I mean it more than I ever have before. This terribly-terrible year puts all my previous mildly-terrible years to shame. It hasn't been a good one, so I'm glad to count it nearly done!!

Oh yeah, yesterday, so I got up with an overwhelming desire to clean my house, something I had been feeling on Christmas day, too, but ignored. This doesn't happen to me often, it really has to be a mess before I actually want to clean it. You see, I hate to clean, hate it, but I love to live in a clean house. A problem, I know, and something I'm working on. The funny thing is, when the house is clean, I can usually manage to keep it that way with 15-20 minutes of work a day, no problem, but if I let it slip a few days, all my previous efforts were wasted because the house looks like a tornado blew threw it. An issue compounded by the fact that we don't seem to have enough storage space, so even when everything's clean and tidy, it feels cluttered. Something we're going to work on by purchasing another filing cabinet. That should take care of some of the clutter. Amen!

So, I start cleaning up and that's when the problem's start. Matt volunteered to help me (a Christmas miracle!!), and while he was up and around I got the bright idea that I'd clean up behind his chair, where a few things had fallen. Okay, no problem, I sat down in his chair, reached back, and rather than getting stuff I hit the surge bar and turned off his computer, monitor, the printer, and the modem for our net. Brilliant, really, brilliant. He was annoyed, but laughed it off after I got the problem resolved and we went about our day. This, however, was only the beginning and not an issue in itself, except that it initiates a whole string of stupid issues.

You see, after we get the living room picked up, I'm dusting around the TV when again, like a dumbass, I bump into another surge protector. The TV, TiVO, Blu-Ray player, X-Box, telephone, and scented wax warmer all go off. Matt looked at me like I'd lost it, and then burst into a fit of laughter at my clumsiness. Great. So I get that all turned back on and go about my business, into the kitchen, where it's a disaster.  This is when I find out, after loading the dishwasher, that the dishwasher is actually dead. Fantastic. Really, seriously, fantastic. Fortunately, I wash all the dishes really well by hand before I put them in there so all I needed to do was rinse them, dry them, and put them away... of course, I have like five loads to do, so a broken dishwasher is not on my happy list because now I have to wash them all by hand.  Suddenly the dishwasher is nothing more than a glorified dish drainer.

So, what do I do? I walk over to the fixture on the wall, you know the one with the little red and black button to reset some of the electricity in the kitchen, and push the button when again, everything goes off--my thought process here is that maybe the dishwasher just needs to be reset. This time, everything on that side of the kitchen, including the coffee pot which was in the process of brewing, and again the TV, TiVO, Blu-Ray player, X-Box, telephone, and scented wax warmer, because apparently the surge bar that stuff is plugged into is in a socket that's on the same circuit as that side of the kitchen. By this point, I am really not happy, and Matt's laughing hysterically, except about the dishwasher, about which he seemed to have a lot of sympathy for me--if you saw my kitchen, you'd understand.

Okay, so cleaning the house is turning into one oops after another, and I'm trudging on because it's a big mess and I'd really like to get it cleaned up before the new year. Great. So, I start working through the dishes--by hand--when a glass I'm washing breaks in my hand and cuts my knuckle open. I wasn't even scrubbing the damn thing, nor was I holding it very tight, so why it decided to break in my hands is beyond me, but now I'm bleeding all over the place, which ruins the current dish water and means I have to run another sink. Grrrr!! At this point, I actually considered giving up and trying again another day. But no, I'm not that smart.

So, I fill the racks in the dishwasher with clean dishes to dry, clean up my bloody finger--which hurts like hell, by the way--and go into the bedroom to turn off the breaker circuit that's associated with the dishwasher, because if it's not working there's no reason it should be plugged in. Okay, but I don't know which one it is, so I flip off two or three when Matt starts having a cow, then laughing again. Turns out, in my breaker flipping, I managed to turn off everything on that side of the house. The dishwasher, the stove, and the circuit that has the TV, TiVo, et al. plugged into it, so that stuff goes off... again! Okay, so I had a little fit, I admit it, then I unplugged the dishwasher, and turned all the circuits back on so that stuff could reboot again.

By this point, I actually did decide to quit. Then, Matt ran out to Wal-Mart to get a few things we needed and while he was gone I managed to step on one of the floor registers in the kitchen--one of the pains of living in a mobile home, by the way--and the slats in the register in the kitchen are rusting, so they break out under me and I nearly fall into the vent. I manage to avoid it by a narrow margin, but now I'm falling backwards and about to crack my head on a piece of rather heavy furniture. Not cool, thankfully I managed to catch myself on time. Ugh. I just sat down and tried not to kill myself while he was gone.

The last straw, however, was lunch. He got me chicken lasagna at the grocery store, something I love. So, I heated it up and was eating it when I actually broke a fork. That was the absolute last straw! I swear, if I wasn't on meds, I'd have likely just flipped out and lost it. That poor, broken fork would have been too much for me. Again, though, Matt thought it was hilarious. He got me another fork, which was nice of him, but he could hardly contain his laughter. I'm so glad that my tragedy can bring a smile to his face.

After all that, I spent the rest of the day on the sofa, watching 'Property Virgins' on HGTV. Hours of that--and I do mean hours-- drove Matt so crazy that he asked me to put in Mama Mia and then he actually wanted to watch Pride and Prejudice. So, my bad day had a good ending, but now I still have a ton of cleaning up to do, so I'm not terribly pleased with that. My dishes are only half done, my bathrooms need cleaning, the floors need mopping, and I'd really like to shampoo the carpets in the living room. Ooh, and I have like ten loads of laundry to do. So, it's going to be another long day, but hopefully it won't just suck the way yesterday did!

Fingers crossed!!