Saturday, January 12, 2013

Busy, Busy, Busy . . .

Wow, that last few days have been so busy! I suggested, a few days ago, that I was stuck in this sort of cycle of sameness where all of my days were a clone of those that came before them and a mirror of those that would come after. Maybe I didn't put it exactly like that, but you get the point. Then, Wednesday, the whole rhythm of my days changed. And they changed for the better. Getting a job, which starts on Tuesday, has been a huge change and because of the nature of the job, it's been a lot of work preparing. But, you know, I'm happy to do it. I'm happy to have something significant to do again. I've needed this.

So, yesterday, I went with Melanie and we turned in all of our paper work, with a transcripts and copies of driver's licenses and SS cards. We found out how many sections we'll each have (two sections each) and where we'll office. Then we had lunch with our husbands. When Matt and Joey went to work, we went clothes shopping. I got four pairs of pants, two tops, a knit cardigan with shorter sleeves that I'll still be able to wear in the spring (even though it's orange), four cami tops, five new pairs of earrings, and three new pairs of shoes--I gave the sweater dress an honest shot, but they look terrible on me! After shopping we went back to Melanie's where we worked on our syllabi, talked about our classes, and made some decisions about assignments (like peer review). When I got home, after 1:00 a.m., I worked on my syllabus some more, then I spent a half an hour boxing up all of my work clothes that're a size or two too big and hanging up my new clothes so that I could see, reasonably, what I have.

By the time I went to bed, around 3:00 a.m., I was exhausted. But, it was the happy kind of exhausted that comes along with having had a really fulfilling day! Of course, that's not even the beginning of the last of it. I have a lot of assignment sheets and slide shows to update/work on this weekend, while I watch the playoff games (Go Broncos!!). Then, on Monday, I have to go in to make copies of my syllabus for my students (which I suppose I could do on Tuesday morning, instead), go to the help desk and get my password problems sorted out, go to Wal-Mart for supplies and dog food, get a hair cut, and get my nails done, pick up Matt's financial aid check because I forgot to set up direct deposit for his checks until it was too late this semester. Then, when all that's done, I'll have to work on class work for my own classes because I'm a student again, too. Monday's going to be busy, too!

Then, Tuesday, classes begin. My classes are at 1:00 p.m. and 2:25 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. Since Tuesday/Thursday (TR) classes are longer, but there are fewer of them, I'm going to have to make some adjustments. I've never taught a TR class before. I'm looking forward to the challenge, because filling an hour and fifteen minutes will be pretty different than trying to fill 50 minutes, for sure. It seems like, right now, half of my classes are meeting in the lab, but I'm probably going to make some adjustments so we only meet in the lab every other week, or something. Not sure yet. Okay, that might be something you don't really care about, but if I can't use my blog to ramble on and on about things only I care a whit about, what good is it?!

I don't really see a moment to breathe in my future until, maybe, Wednesday, but then Matt has to work so we won't be spending much time together. No wait, we have to go to the eye doctor on Monday afternoon, which will take up most of our afternoon. THEN Matt has to go to work. By next weekend, I'm going to be exhausted, but like yesterday's kind of exhausted, I'm hoping it's because the week has been a fulfilling one. Okay, for now, back to working on my assignment sheets and class materials! I hope y'all are having a nice weekend!